Catering & Food Service
Transporting and serving large volumes of food can create huge unnecessary waste. Choose these sustainable options to help support local growers while protecting the environment.
When contracting with a catering company, make sure to state your requirements upfront. Even reputed green caterers do not always make green options standard. Introduce these topics in your negotiations:
- Organic Foods: Locally grown organics are the best option.
- Sustainable Flatware: Ask for reusable flatware, or recycled/biodegradable disposables, if necessary.
- Food Recycling Program: Work with the caterer to (1) re-offer food during multi-day conferences and meetings, (2) donate uneaten food to local food banks or shelters, and (3) encourage conference/meeting participants to take leftover food home.
Use these preparations when holding a catered event:
- Plan accordingly to ensure that you have the proper recycling bins to correspond with the items you will have at the event.
- Place recycling bins in visible and easy-to-access places.
- Consider creating a compost bin for food scraps.
- Consider putting informational tents out to inform attendees of your green efforts and promote responsible catering.
- If your conference is going to be held off-site, consider holding it in a green building.